[Beowulf] Re: building a new cluster

Joachim Worringen joachim at ccrl-nece.de
Thu Sep 2 01:24:37 PDT 2004

SC Huang wrote:
> 5. I only have wall-clocking timing of my code on various platforms. I
> don't know how sensitive it is to cache size. I guess the bigger cache,
> the better, because the code is operating large arrays all the time.

If your arrays are really large, than it's the memory bandwidth that
counts, not the cache size. Or your ability to implement cache-friendly
(blocked) versions of your code (probably with the assistance of
libraries like ATLAS).

Just a side note on this: we have a 32-node dual-Athlon cluster with
Myrinet in the lab as well as an SX-6i (single processor SX-6). We've
seen our financial modelling codes run faster on the SX-6i than on the
cluster (with a non-trivially parallized version). And in contrast to
the cluster, the SX-6i is running non-stop for months (as long as we
have it here). It's much smaller and more energy-efficient, too - but
it's not cheaper.

  Joachim

--
Joachim Worringen - NEC C&C research lab St.Augustin
fon +49-2241-9252.20 - fax .99 - http://www.ccrl-nece.de