[Beowulf] 96 Processors Under Your Desktop

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Sep 1 07:41:18 PDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, John Hearns wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 22:49, Jim Lux wrote:
>

>> Depends on where you are and what the incremental kWh rate is.
>>
>> There was some discussion a while back on the list of what the electricity
>> cost to move heat is.. maybe 10-20% of the heat you're moving?  That is, it
>> takes 200W to move a kilowatt of dissipation out of the room.
> I seem to recall proposals to build large computing facilities in the
> Arctic? Just leave the doors open for cooling, and cheap hydro generated
> power. Can anyone else remember this?

In bozeman montana we'd leave the fire-escape proped open in the winter
to keep the datapoint mainframe and associated equipment cool. in the
summer however it required massive hvac.

transport, construction, and a lack of desire to live there are generally
issues when it comes to building facilities in locations where the ambient
temperature is sufficintly low year around for aircooling something like
that. backhoeing through and pouring concrete on permafrost adds
signficantly to the cost of your structure.