[Beowulf] High Performance for Large Database

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Nov 15 17:34:13 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 03:04 am, hanzl at noel.feld.cvut.cz wrote:

> I did few greps through last 14553 messages in this maillist and the
> strongest claim of personal experience I found was "Just set up a 2
> node Lustre here".
>
> But my search may be incomplete and reports of happy users on this
> list may be incomplete. Please tell us...

We had a brief experiment with the freely available version of Lustre for a
very short while, which we had to terminate because the prepackaged IA32
kernel we had put on our NFS server crashed repeatedly (without any Lustre
modules loaded).

This was because (as far as we could tell at the time) you couldn't add extra
OST's after creating a volume, and as we wanted failover we needed the new
system to be running the kernel at that point.

Note that although Lustre is available under the GPL the version that you can
download (you must give your email address first) is old (I think it's still
the same version we tried, 1.0) and you need to pay to get access to the
current versions.  This is consistent with the GPL, though.

The nice thing about GFS from my point of view is that it is also GPL'd and
you can snag a copy from the current CVS whenever you want, as well as
grabbing the tarballs from the Redhat site.

The downside of course is that if you choose to do that then you're using a
version from CVS. :-)

Chris