[Beowulf] Re: checkpointing

Isaac Dooley idooley at isaacdooley.com
Wed Nov 3 14:56:46 PST 2004

Parallel job checkpointing is not easy. If you are running an MPI
program, perhaps you could use the AMPI implementation available at
http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu. I work on this project, and it can provide
checkpointing of MPI programs. The implementation also allows for
dynamic load balancing(process migration) in a few different flavors, as
well as automatic fault tolerance. AMPI, and its underlying
Charm/Converse system run on a wide range of architectures from
workstation clusters to BlueGene. So if you have an MPI program,
switching to AMPI may be trivial, and using the special load balancing
features would requre a few extra function calls(but it may be possible
to do asynchronous load balancing as well).

Also it is worthwhile to know exactly why you wish to checkpoint.
Generally for large systems, say 5000 nodes, with long running
applications(hours or days), it is needed to provide protection when a
node dies.

Please send me any questions you may have about charm.
Isaac Dooley