[Beowulf] Redmond is at it, again

Laurence Liew laurenceliew at yahoo.com.sg
Thu May 27 01:38:25 PDT 2004

Hi all

> > If you work for a disro company and you are reading this,
> > all I can say is, WAKE UP! You are going down the tubes fast
> > in the HPC market. If you work for a cluster vendor and you are
> > reading this, please push your management hard to adopt at
> > least one open distro. We'll pay for support for it, but not using
> > the current pricing scheme that the Redhat's, Suse, etc. are
> > charging.

So what would be a per node price people (edu? commercial?) would pay
for the OS with support and updates? Do note that support for HPC
clusters requires technically competent and HPC savvy engineers and
these do not come cheap....

Based on previous discussions and email.. it seems that USD$50 - USD$100
per node to be about right/acceptable for a cluster OS that is supported
with updates and patches and basic support for HPC type questions.

Comments?

Cheers!
Laurence
ps. I work for a cluster vendor.