[Beowulf] CCL:Question regarding Mac G5 performance (fwd from mmccallum at pacific.edu)

Michael Huntingdon hunting at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 19 23:05:12 PDT 2004

I've spent some time sifting through the attached numbers. Though not each
lends itself to hp Itanium 2, there appears to be a very balanced trend.
For clusters, scale down the hp rx2600 to the rx1600 dual CPU with fewer
PCI-X slots, comparable performance, HP-UX/linux/OVMS, in box upgrades,
excellent services, and education price under $3,000.

I'm at a loss as to why there is not a great deal more conversation around
these systems. hptc clusters should lend themselves to easy additions and
upgrades. An investment in Pentuim, SPARC,  Athlon, or Opteron yesterday,
should easily include G5, Itanuim 2 or futures toward cluster enhancements.
 From the attachments, it looks to me as though the Itanium 2 numbers are
(at least) compelling, with a long term commitment to the hardware
technology as well as the operating systems.

Cheers
Michael