[Beowulf] MIPS/Watt data

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Wed Jun 23 11:13:32 PDT 2004

We're looking at building some large clusters now using single and dual
core 64bit MIPS SOC's:

http://www.pmc-sierra.com/products/details/rm9150/

http://www.pmc-sierra.com/products/details/rm9000x2GL/

Another way to go currently is to use the IBM Blue Logic® SOC:

http://www-306.ibm.com/chips/products/asics/products/soc.html

These two solutions would be much lower Watts and $$/FLOP than x86.

The Via C3 parts are dropping in price but they don't offer much in
cache sizes and I/O throughput. If your code fits into their cache and
doesn't need to be passed around with other nodes much they aren't a bad
option.

-Bari