[Beowulf] Redmond is at it, again

Andrew Cater Andrew.Cater at gchq.gsi.gov.uk
Tue Jun 15 01:24:19 PDT 2004

Protective Marking: UNCLASSIFIED

HP, Prodigy, IBM, Quadrics - all will support Debian on request.
Building cluster software for e.g. _just_ SuSE/Novell, Red Hat / Fedora
is very short sighted.

Since the core of most distributions is essentially the same, surely the
cluster software vendors can build for e.g. Linux Standard Base
compatibility at a minimum / supply a tarball with Automake/Autoconf and
Leave cluster users to actually make good use of their software.

Software support should be "Your widget crashed when I fed it 64k length
records - help me! Sure" not "which kernel/glibc are you running? _Now_
I'll help you" :)

Just my 0.02 Euro from a work machine with broken emailer.  All opinions
personal and not to be attributed to anyone else - speaking only in a
personal capacity. YMMV, objects in rear view mirror may appear closer
than they are etc. etc.

Andy

This Email (and any files or other attachments transmitted with it)
is intended solely for the use of the addresee(s).  If you are not
the intended recipient, please destroy all copies and notify
postmaster at gchq.gsi.gov.uk; you should not retain the message
or disclose its contents to anyone.

Internet Email is not a secure medium.  Any reply to this
message could be intercepted and read by someone else.
Please bear that in mind when deciding whether to send
material in response to this message by Email.

Unless expressly indicated, the views or opinions contained
within this Email do not reflect those of GCHQ.

Communications with GCHQ may be monitored or recorded in
order to secure the effective operation of the system and for
other lawful purposes.