[Beowulf] passwordless "rsh" login

Tyler Simon tasimon at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu
Wed Jul 7 23:22:32 PDT 2004

Sandeep,

To set up a RedHat 8.0 cluster using a "passwordless" rsh I
always check the that I have the following.

For each child:

1.)In the users home directory make sure there exists a
'.rhosts' file containg a listing of child nodes and the
master node, set the permissions to 644.

masternode
node1
node2
node3

2.) Type 'setup' and from the 'System Services' menu make
sure that rsh, rlogin, and rexec are selected.

3.) Add the following lines to the end of the /etc/securetty
file

rsh
rexec
rlogin

4.) Change directory to /etc/pam.d and modify the rsh,
rlogin, and rexec files as follows. The order is very
important.

rsh file
#%PAM-1.0
# For root login to succeed here with pam_securetty, "rsh"
must be
# listed in /etc/securetty.
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_env.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth

rlogin file
#%PAM-1.0
# For root login to succeed here with pam_securetty,
"rlogin" must be
# listed in /etc/securetty.
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth

rexec file
#%PAM-1.0
# For root login to succeed here with pam_securetty, "rexec"
must be
# listed in /etc/securetty.
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth

5.) Make sure to have an updated /etc/passwd,/etc/shadow and
/etc/group file on each node.

This should do it, and feel free to contact me if you have
any trouble.

-Tyler Simon