[Beowulf] MPI Implementations for SMP use

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Dec 18 07:24:37 PST 2004

Hi Andy:

  Short version:  Use shared memory based devices (--comm=shared, or use
ch_shmem for MPI that will not go outside of this box) for MPI on a
single SMP node.  OpenMP is (IMO, and no, this is not intended to be
troll bait) very easy to use/program with.  MPI is (also IMO, and also
this is not intended to be troll bait) a bit harder to program with,
but, and this is quite important, it forces you to think in distributed
mode, which means that you typically are more focused upon the job of
spatial localization of data, and data layout in general.  That stricter
discipline is very helpful.

  There will be people who take issue with both of these statements, and
it is worth while to have a healthy discussion of the relative merits of
each.  <self_promotion> I should be covering a little of this in a class
I am going to teach next semester (see
http://www.cs.wayne.edu/winter2005courses.htm# ) </self_promotion>.

Joe