[Beowulf] 96 Processors Under Your Desktop (fwd from brian-slashdotnews at hyperreal.org)

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Mon Aug 30 16:30:04 PDT 2004

I have been touting the virtues of low power use clusters for the last
year. I hope to build a second one next year , with twice the
performance of the present machine.
My experience with my low power cluster has been that it is not a "big
iron" machine, but is very effective, and very fast for some things.
Also, a low power use cluster is the only way I can have a significant
cluster in my apartment, so it was to be this way, or no way. At
present, the cost of power for my 14 node cluster is running about $20 a
month (14 nodes up 24/7 and in use much of the time).

It is rather difficult to operate a significant opteron cluster in an
office environment (or in an efficiency apartment). The heat alone will
prevent it. If you need lots of nodes and low power use, the "small p
performance" machines are going to be the way to go.  I can think of
many situations where it would be desirable to have a deskside cluster
for computation, development, or testing, and the low power machines
opens the door to a lot of users who can't otherwise take advantage of
parallel processing.
A 450 watt , 10 GFLP parallel computing machine for about $10K seems
attractive. It is even more attractive if it does not need any special
power or cooling arrangements.

Glen