[Beowulf] Question: Who has apps that regularly swap?

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Sun Aug 29 18:09:51 PDT 2004

Jeffrey;

In general, swapping is to be avoided. Typically , swapping begins when
the machine runs short of memory (usually due to an application using
too much memory during it's run).  A cluster with many nodes swapping is
said to be "thrashing" and is operating very inefficiently. In that
situation the cluster might begin to run so slowly as to be useless.  A
program that causes swapping for long periods of time generally makes me
worry about the life expectancy of the hard drives as well.

Glen