[Beowulf] MPI performance on clusters of SMP

Kozin, I (Igor) I.Kozin at dl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 26 11:22:04 PDT 2004

Philippe,
many thanks for your responce(s).

I see. So all the cases I've seen must have the network
bandwidth saturated (i.e. between a node and the switch).
Should be possible to profile...
Thus using both cpus on a node creates even higher load on the
connection. Hypothetically, when the memory bandwidth and
the switch are not a problem then using N x 2 configuration
with 2 network cards per node should be always superior to
using 2*N x 1 config with 1 network card per node.
(same number of cards and cpus!).

Best,
Igor

PS As for my experiment with the Tiger box, it is perfectly
reproducible and does not depend on the state of the system.
I know that the chipset is not perfect and that's why I tried
to fit everything in to cache.