[Beowulf] Good Grid Computing classes?

Michael Hanulec hanulec at hanulec.com
Thu Aug 12 21:06:24 PDT 2004

Michael..

To my knowledge there is no classes is Linux clustering.  Cornell Theory
Center <http://www.ctc-hpc.com/> has a Windows based class... but no UNIX
tools are covered in their class.

With this being said I would really recommend you getting a few
server-class machines ( at least two.. but three or four would be more
useful) and just attempting an install.  There are many good cluster tool
kits out there which supply many of these utilities:

Oscar <http://oscar.openclustergroup.org/>
- limited to RH9 support
- implements PBS and uses SystemImager
- uses 'rsync' of a compute node image which can easily be edited/added to

ROCKS <http://rocksclusters.org/Rocks/>
- provides a 'rebuilt' version of RHEL
- provides 'rolls' for PBS and SGE
- performs 'kickstart' installs

Warewulf <http://www.warewulf-cluster.org/>
- usable w/ many 'rebuilt' versions of RHEL and implements disk-less
clusters using RAM disks.

All of the above cluster tool kits have supportive mailing lists with a lot
of intellect people on them.

Also.. many HPC cluster vendors can provide excellent support for their
products such as providing additional binaries, etc. to get the above
mentioned tool kits working.

-Mike

--
hanulec at hanulec.com		cell: 858.518.2647 && 516.410.4478