Problems with Mii-Diag...

john152 at libero.it john152 at libero.it
Wed Mar 12 10:38:02 PST 2003

Hi all,
first of all thanks for your answers to my previous mail.

I installed mii-diag and i think there are problems:
I used two PC (PC1 with a Network Card 3Com 3C900 B Combo and a DEC 21142; PC2 with two Network Card 3Com 3C900 B Combo ).
I tried two configurations: PC connected together  by two 3C900 with a cable and PC connected by an HUB, with the HUB in the root of the configuration ( PC1---HUB---PC2 ) using the two 3C900.

I used only the 3C900 because with the DEC i have this line:
" # ./mii-diag eth0
  # SIOCGMIIPHY on eth0 failed: Operation not supported".

In the two configurations (for both ping was OK!) i had the same line from mii-diag:

"#./mii-diag -w
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
 Basic registers of MII PHY #0:  0000 ffff 0000 ffff 0000 ffff 0000 ffff.
 The autonegotiated capability is 0000.
No common media type was autonegotiated!
This is extremely unusual and typically indicates a configuration error.
Perhaps the advertised capability set was intentionally limited.
 Basic mode control register 0x0000: Auto-negotiation disabled, with
 Speed fixed at 10 mbps, half-duplex.
 Basic mode status register 0xffff ... ffff.
   Link status: established.
 Remote fault detected!
   *** Link Jabber! ***
 Your link partner advertised ffff: Flow-control 100baseT4 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD 10baseT, w/ 802.3X flow control.
   End of basic transceiver information.
No MII transceiver present to minitor.

I had eth0 configured and active!
I'm using RedHat 8.0.

Using mii-tool i have:
eth0: 10 Mbit, half duplex, link ok
eth1: 10 Mbit, half duplex, link ok

Can you help me please? What does mii-diag mean for 'MII tranceiver'?
Thanks in advance for your kind answer.

Giovanni Di Giacomo