Physical questions

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Tue Jan 21 18:35:52 PST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 07:21:34PM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> SO I wouldn't worry.  I don't worry much about cell phones, either.
> Microwave ovens, I worry about.  TV sets and CRT's in general I worry
> about (they produce soft X rays and other ionizing radiation with some
> probability, especially close to the tube).

Super. It's good to mention the CRT danger. It's amazing, because we hear
all the hype about cell phones and not a whimper concerning CRTs. Large
CRTs greater than about 19 inches are definitely something for folks to be
aware of and possibly even concerned with. If you sit in front of a large
CRT computer screen all your life, then you are statistically at much
increased risk of cataracts and possibly cancers.

There is a big distinction between soft x-rays and x-rays though. And CRTs
that meet regulatory standards have safety mechanisms that sense the maximum
voltage build up, preventing the transition to a radiator of hard x-rays.
Even so, long term exposure to this radiation is not positive in any way.

Well, I have my solution. My only interface into my network these days is my
laptop, with a flat panel screen that emits no dangerous radiation. So, I
took my sun glasses off and now only wear them when outside in the
California sunshine. ;)

cheers,
Karen
--