GA621 NIC

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Jan 16 12:06:38 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:48:54PM -0600, Henderson, TL Todd wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with the Netgear GA621 fiber NIC and RedHat
> 8.0?
>
> They ship drivers for RH 7.1, should the these drivers be close enough to
> compile and work under 8.0?

The drivers are kernel specific rather than Distribution specific. (Although
Red Hat applies so many patches to the kernel, you need to verify this
generality when using their distributions.) A simple test can help you.
Download the 2.4.20 kernel from ftp.kernel.org and take a look for yourself.
Personally, I would run that kernel on Red Hat 8.0, replacing the heavily
patched version that comes with Red Hat distributions. FYI, I believe the
latest 8.0 kernel update is a heavily patched 2.4.19 kernel.

cheers,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer