Physical questions

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jan 15 07:08:36 PST 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Danny Harrison wrote:

> RackSaver has deployed over 100 Dual Xeon 2.4GHz - 2.8GHz clusters in
> the last 4 months alone, each with 66 nodes. We have several 88 node
> clusters (single rack) running the same systems. Check out the news
> section (press release).
>
> I guess you can call us a 'thermal' company.

At these densities, I'd rather just say that you sell a "hot product";-)

> Look at www.racksaver.com to get a better idea of the designs.

Interesting.  Vertical case mounts and nifty control features, hmmm.

Well, ok, so it is very clear -- current CPU/FLOP densities have reached
well over 10 KW per rack footprint.  Install one of these in your
basement and keep your house toasty warm all winter long for a mere
$500/month or so in electrical costs (at $0.07/KW-hr).

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu