Looking for remote file view utility

Ray Muno muno at aem.umn.edu
Wed Jan 8 09:35:42 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 12:13:12PM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 mgb at mgbeckett.com wrote:
>
> > I saw a simple C program which ran as a server on each
> > cluster node and allow a remote user to telnet to a
> > port and cat a file or list files in a directory.
> >
> > I Thought it was on the list but I cannot find it
>
> I presume that you know that such a utility is Evil with the capital E.
> Most sysadmins would stake you to an anthill if they discovered such a
> daemon running on their system, especially a homemade one that is
> probably chock full of buffer-overwrite attack possibilities.

You forgot the critical step of smearing the culprit with honey before staking
them to the anthill.

 Ray Muno                           http://www.aem.umn.edu/people/staff/muno
 University of Minnesota                          e-mail:   muno at aem.umn.edu
 Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics               Phone:     (612) 625-9531
 110 Union St. S.E.		                     FAX:     (612) 626-1558
 Minneapolis, Mn 55455