Beowulf Questions

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Sun Jan 5 00:36:07 PST 2003

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 05:11:39PM -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:

> but that flatness was my original point: Grid, if it is to break out of the
> seti at home ghetto, must assume that networking will improve dramatically.
> that doesn't seem to be happening, for physical, practical, political
> and economic reasons...

I don't know what Grid you're talking about, but the one pioneered by
projects such as Legion and Globus has always realized that network
latency is limited by the speed of light. That and the fact that large
collections of machines have continual small failures are the two
features that separate grid computing from cluster or parallel computing.

Meanwhile, network bandwidth, which is needed by the actual Grid, is
improving quite rapidly.

-- greg