fast blackplanes (was Re: Experience with SMC 8624T L2 switches and nics)

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Thu Feb 27 06:59:51 PST 2003

On Wed Feb 26 18:29:30 2003, Patrick Geoffray wrote:

>In a few months, we will start to ship switch blades with GigE port on
>them. Cost model: roughly $500 per port. That should drive the price per
>node of large GigE cluster down.

Interesting. Is that number the blade-only per port price or does
that include the switch capable of connecting 128 nodes with some
expansion capability?  Force10 suggested their 48 port GigE card
listed for $20,000 or about $420 a port (I think this was the price
without the rest of the hardware).  The comparison assumes that
you have discounted Myrinet's latency advantage.

Regards,

rbw
#---------------------------------------------------
# Richard Walsh
# Project Manager, Cluster Computing, Computational
#                  Chemistry and Finance
# netASPx, Inc.
# 1200 Washington Ave. So.
# Minneapolis, MN 55415
# VOX:    612-337-3467
# FAX:    612-337-3400
# EMAIL:  rbw at networkcs.com, richard.walsh at netaspx.com
#         rbw at ahpcrc.org
#
# "Why waste time learning when ignornace is
#  instantaneous?"                 -Thomas Hobbes