RPL vs PXE (was Re: Installing Linux (without CD/floppies))

Ken Chase math at velocet.ca
Tue Feb 18 11:43:44 PST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:28:47PM -0500, Donald Becker's all...
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Ken Chase wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 09:05:48AM -0500, Donald Becker's all...
> > > Almost all current, performance-oriented motherboards have built-in Fast
> > > Ethernet with PXE support in the BIOS Flash.
> > Many lower end boards include RPL now, which seems to be of the IBM
> > variety (not Novell).
>
> Hmmm, while we still see RPL around, it's usually an legacy alternative
> to PXE.
> Are you seeing new systems with RPL and not PXE?

Nothing super high end, its all PXE - low end stuff, like the ECS gear -
its using the SiS chipsets which have all historically (from what I
remember) been RPL only, unfortunately. in our particular situation we
need boards that can handle both types of ram (dont ask, not
my fault, long story :)

/kc

--
Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA