PXE bootiing/support/ Re: Installing Linux (without CD/floppies)

Ken Chase math at velocet.ca
Tue Feb 18 06:29:17 PST 2003

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 07:48:26PM -0800, Jim Lux's all...
> Anybody know if the VIA Apollo PLE 133 chipset (as used in the VIA mobos)
> supports PXE?  It's not entirely obvious from the website.
> The $200 computers from Walmart, for instance, use this chipset.  And, more
> to what I'm interested in, VIA has a number of mobos with 12V only input,
> very low power, using a variety of their processors.

Those low power CPUs are EXTREMELY slow.

I had a 600 Mhz jobbie, and it ran the d.dppc Gromacs benchmark on
a single CPU 25 *TIMES* slower than a 2.2 Ghz Xeon!

Might be worth it for TCO over 5-10 years if your power isnt cheap, though ;)

Also they can run fanless, so diskless nodes end up with no moving parts!

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA