Back-UPS garbage? - options

alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com
Tue Feb 11 13:57:04 PST 2003

hi ya drew

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Drew Raines wrote:

> <alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Drew Raines wrote:
> >>
> >> I assume you're referring to the ``Back-UPS'' line.
>
> [...]
>
> > but there are also other equivalents at the same price range
> > that actually works ... sustaining for about 15-20 minutes
>
> [...]
>
> > you cant give me an APC anymore and expect a critical server
> > to be plugged into it and expect it to stay up during power outage
> > 	( can you can see the graveyard of dead apc's )
>
> What are the alternatives?  Do you mean in the ``glorified surge
> protector'' market, or in the overall UPS category?  I haven't seen
> anything competing with APC in the latter, and possibly one or too
> in the former..
>
> I'd love to know experiences with specific models.

the ones i have now in front of me..
	bunch more apc thrown away
	apc 200 -- dead - junk yard
	apc 300 -- dead - just a surge protector for the monitor now
	apc 400 -- 3x size of apc 650 - semi dead - now a surge protector
	slwaber powerhouse -- dead

still working
	apc 650 -- last one working
	Deltec
	belkin 525VA
	Pulsar EL4  ( 1" thick )
	Pulseware 9125 ( rackmount)

	anything that is $30 - $50 is a good alternative that is cheap ...
	and lot cheaper than a blown pc/server due to power problems

bought a few more el cheapos for various clients.. dont know its those
are dead or alive..
	-- so i conclude... i wont use apc no more..
	-- all bought around the same time.... 3-5 yrs running now..
	( since most are connected w/ p-90's and k-350 etc )
	-- rackmounts has p3-800 etc

"dead"  means probably needs new batteries

c ya
alvin