Quick survey -- UPSs on slave nodes?

Cristian Tibirna ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca
Mon Feb 10 14:46:54 PST 2003

Le Monday, 10 February 2003 14:24, Nicholas Webb a écrit:
> At the University of Idaho we are preparing to order a new beowulf cluster
> and a vendor seemed to be shocked that we wanted UPSs attached to ALL of
> the nodes.  He stated that most people only use UPSs on the Master Node,
> unless the cluster was used for some kind of mission critical purpose.
> So the question, do you use UPSs on your slave nodes?  Arguments for not
> using UPSs on slave nodes (and vice versa)?

We have a small cluster (16), yet we have put all nodes, the myri and eth
switches and the KVM on UPSs, because:
a) we fear brief power spikes that can bring down days worth of computation
(we have a fair load of such spikes - sometimes up to 4/month);
b) we want to condition the circuits (we had first hand accounts of tens of
power supplies to be changed because they only worked correctly on an
adequately sized UPS, but never on the direct power line, because of what was
discussed on this list about recent power supplies).

--
Cristian Tibirna				(1-418-) 656-2131 / 4340
  Université Laval - Québec, CAN ... http://www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
  Professionnel de recherche GIREF ... ctibirna at giref.ulaval.ca
  Étudiant PhD Génie Chimique ... tibirna at gch.ulaval.ca