BEOWULF cluster hangs

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Thu Sep 26 08:52:09 PDT 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, G.de-With wrote:

> Hello
>
> Since a month we have a LINUX BEOWULF cluster, the clusters contains 7 P4
> dual processor 2GHz computers, with 8Gb of RAM per machine. For our network
> we have used Gigabit ethernet.
>

> 2) To my understanding the most important indicators to indicate the
> computer usage are:
> - memory usage
> - cpu usage

I'm sure someone on the list knows the exact answer.

I would start by looking at the network, using ifconfig and
netstat to look at the network status.
You are using top and ps to get the process status, right?

Me, I'm no expert, but for CFD why not use e.g. Myrinet?
Network performance isn't all about bandwidth - and gig E may
not be the best choice here.