Which cluster to use?

Henderson, TL Todd Todd_Henderson at ISL-3Com.com
Wed Sep 18 10:48:38 PDT 2002

Just because you don't use OSCAR or Scyld, or some other cluster software,
doesn't mean you can't have the company network see just one computer.  We
have a 'head' node that is nothing more than a PII with two network cards in
it.  It takes care of our RAID, PBS stuff, etc.  Behind it we have 35 Compaq
XP1000.  They all run out of the box distributions that I've installed mpich
on and compiled our code for.

The thing that looks nice about a lot of the 'cluster' distros is the web
administration interface, the ease of updates since they boot from the main
node, etc.  The updates can be handled with PXE, dhcp, etc.  I suspect as a
cluster grows, the usefullness of specialized clustering tools like Scyld,
OSCAR, etc. becomes much more appealing.  The lease is up on our XP1000's so
we're replacing them with 64 P4's that I think we'll just run Redhat
7.3+mpich on.

later,
Todd