Disk noises and Tyan S2468UGN

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 18 09:51:36 PDT 2002

> Steve Cousins wrote concerning disk noises on IBM  IC35L036UWD210-0
> drives:
>
> > http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/ipl/oem/tech/pfa.htm
> >
> >A (sic) periodic intervals, PFA's Generalized Error Measurement (GEM)
> >automatically performs a suite of self-diagnostic tests which measure
> >changes in the disk drive's component characteristics."

IBM sent me the following file which is a similar noise but apparently
from
a slightly different drive.

  ftp://saf.bio.caltech.edu/pub/pickup/ibm_pfa_noise.wav

To experience "the real thing" crank up the volume
until you can hear the sound 8 feet away and then sit down 1 foot from
the speaker and play it again.  Once every 30 seconds.

I'll keep this file on my site for a month or so.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu