Reliability of Beowulf (memory limits)

Huntsinger, Reid reid_huntsinger at merck.com
Mon Sep 16 15:01:15 PDT 2002

PC's memory limit is a function of how many slots on the mainboard and
what "chipset" is used. Higher-end Serverworks chipsets for example can
support
very large amounts of RAM.

To access more memory than 32-bit unsigned integers can address (4GB), Linux
(and any other OS) uses an Intel hardware provision called Physical Address
Extension (PAE), which does some sleight-of-hand with 4 extra bits to make
use of the available RAM up to 64 GB.

Regardless of the amount of physical RAM, Linux allows a process to address
3 GB of memory (maybe up to .5 GB more if kernel parameters are modified).
So the extra RAM is only helpful if there are several memory-hungry
processes. (Some information is available at
http://www.spack.org/index.cgi/LinuxRamLimits)

If you want a single process to address more memory than this, you really
need a 64-bit machine (not necessarily a supercomputer). But you may be able
to rewrite your applications as several processes, each of which needs a
smaller (say < 3GB) amount of RAM. This can then be distributed across a
Beowulf, for example. Thankfully, the tools you need are all free.

If you're thinking of making a network of PCs into a machine with a unified
> 4GB virtual address space, this is as far as I know a research topic.

Reid Huntsinger