Available memory limitation?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Sep 6 12:44:39 PDT 2002

Try looking at your limits

[landman at squash.scalableinformatics.com:~]                                      1 >limit
cputime 	unlimited
filesize 	unlimited
datasize 	unlimited
stacksize 	8192 kbytes
coredumpsize 	unlimited
memoryuse 	unlimited
descriptors 	1024
memorylocked 	unlimited
maxproc 	8191
openfiles 	1024

is your memoryuse unlimited, or is it capped at some value?  What about
your stack size?

I might suggest running your program using strace.  Strace will show you
the system calls, and specifically whether or not something fails.

[landman at squash.scalableinformatics.com:~]                                      8 > strace ./a.out
execve("./a.out", ["./a.out"], [/* 44 vars */]) = 0
uname({sys="Linux", node="squash.scalableinformatics.com", ...}) = 0
brk(0)                                  = 0xce74bb8
.
.

Things to check are memory utilization, amount of VM available, and
other related things.