thermal kill switch

Steve Gaudet SGaudet at turbotekcomputer.com
Wed Oct 23 10:47:41 PDT 2002

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:03:21AM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> >
> > A second option is to get an electronically readable
> thermometer (with
> > one or more sensors) for the ambient room air.  netbotz
> (netbotz.com)
> > sell moderately expensive (order $1K) monitoring devices that sample
> > room air temperature, humidity, switch state (so you can
> get an alarm or
> > take pictures when a door is opened or a motion detector
> detects motion)
> > and have a built in camera and both a web and SNMP
> interface for remote
> > monitoring.  It generates "alarm" mail if e.g. temperature or sound
> > levels exceed a given threshold.  It is a straightforward
> matter to hook
> > a script into one that either polls the device and sends nodes a
> > poweroff command on an alarm or responds to alarm mail ditto.
> >
> > If you are a DIY sort of person and don't want to pay for a
> netbot, you
> > can build the functional equivalent of a netbot out of
> component parts
> > and scripts.  A PC-TV card (bttv driver) and an X10 camera
> will let you
> > watch real-time video of your cluster room in an xawtv
> window or serve
> > you images updated every second or five on a web page -- I have the
> > scripts and html for the latter already set up, as I have
> one at home.
> > To do temperature, you can invest in an ibutton thermochron:
> >

> We have a netbotz unit and it works great. I have a remote
> sensor that
> monitors the incoming chilled water. We usually know when
> there is an AC
> problem before our Facilities people do.
>
> For another DIY alternative, you could set up room monitoring with
> a Lego Mindstorms RCX, Lego temperature sensor and Vision Command
> USB camera.  You could do this for about $250. Everything runs under
> Linux. The camera works with xawtv.  The touch sensors could be used
> to monitor if the door has been opened.  (I am coaching a Lego League
> team right now and I came to the realization that I could do
> everything
> my expensive netbotz unit does with a fancy toy ;-)

> ===============

American Power and Conversion has one product that will allow you to
monitor the temperature and humidity.  It comes in a card form (to go in
their UPS's) or a standalone unit for use on anything.  The part numbers are
AP9612TH for the card and AP9312TH for the Free standing unit.  Here is a
link for them:

http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=47

We sell them and APCC has been very aggressive on pricing and trade-ins.

Cheers,

Steve Gaudet
Linux Solutions Engineer
  <(©¿©)>

| Turbotek Computer Corp.    tel:603-666-3062 ext. 21             |
| 161 Abby Rd                fax:603-666-4519                     |
| Manchester, NH 03103       e-mail:sgaudet at turbotekcomputer.com  |
| toll free:800-573-5393     web: http://www.turbotekcomputer.com |