Anyone have information on latest LSU beowulf?

Daniel Kidger Daniel.Kidger at quadrics.com
Tue Oct 8 05:35:27 PDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Craig Tierney wrote:
> http://www.phys.lsu.edu/faculty/tohline/capital/beowulf.html
>
> Their HPL result is 2.2 Tflops!  Very impressive.
>
> (lines deleted)
> What HPL settings did they use to achieve their result?

I think that many people would be interested in their settings for xhpl,
in particular what percentage peak did they manage for a single CPU run ?

A 1.8GHz P4 has a theoretical peak of 3.6GFlops/s, but so far I have only
seen figures of around 60% of this for linpack. Compare this with 75%+ for
Alpha nodes (and of course 95%+ for vector processors).

So, in terms of single processor performance:

   Which compiler did they use ?  (icc version 7 perhaps)
   And which compiler options ?
   Did they use mkl or Atlas for the BLAS ?
   What value of NB did they settle on ? (80 and 160 seem common choices)
   any other non-default values in HPL.dat ?

Yours,
Daniel.

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505