Weird network connection problem

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Oct 1 19:06:59 PDT 2002

This sounds like hardware:

Suggestions:

. Take two network cables, one going to a failing node, one to a working
node.  Swap them.  See if the problem moves to the originally ok
machine, and off of the originally not-ok machine.  If the problem
moves, restore the original connections, and try replacing the failing
machines' network cable.  See if you still have a problem.

. Drop in a new network card to one of the failing machines.  Turn off
the onboard network.  Does it still fail?