Pros and Cons of Scyld and CLIC Mandrake

Erwan Velu erwan at mandrakesoft.com
Thu Nov 28 08:50:15 PST 2002

Le mer 27/11/2002 à 01:43, Thomas Zheng a écrit :
> Hi,
> I am deciding between Scyld and CLIC Mandrake to run on my cluster.  Could
> someone tell me the pros and cons of both systems?
CLIC could be view as a "beowulf one" cluster with some enhancements,

CLIC is a full GPL clustering distro and features
-"Ka-deploy" tool for a fast deployment of a golden node.
	You can reinstall a full cluster in less than 3 minutes.
	The installation time doesn't depend on the cluster size.
-"Urpmi parallel" for keeping your cluster up to date
	RPMS packages are uploaded from the server to the nodes farm 	using a
parallel technology (ka-run).
-Multiple file system support
	The next Clic release (in 2 weeks) will support XFS, JFS, 	ReiserFS,
Ext3.
-Non homogeous SCSI drives
	Next release will support non homogeous brand of SCSI adapters
	installed on nodes.
-Hudge number of librairies
	CLIC contains lots of librairies such as lapack, scalapack, 	atlas,
petsc, ...
-Autoconfiguration
	CLIC autoconfigures automaticaly your cluster building a full 	network
services architecture using :
	PXE, DHCP, NIS, NFS, NTP, DNS, MPICH, LAM, PVM ,
	MAUI (Next Release), OPENPBS, GANGLIA.
	Note: SSH keys are automaticaly deployed on the cluster farm.
-Others applications
	Vrjuggler & netjuggler, povray, distcc, ccache are included.

CLIC will be available on Itanium 2 at the beginning of 2003 then AMD
X86-64.

CLIC doesn't support the Single System Image (SSI).
CLIC doesn't support myrinet, sci, quadrix (Future Next Release)

--
Erwan Velu
Linux Cluster Distribution Project Manager (CLIC)
Email        : erwan at mandrakesoft.com
Web site     : http://clic.mandrakesoft.com
OpenPGP key  : http://www.mandrakesecure.net/cks/