Subject: /. The Space Simulator Cluster

Ken Chase math at velocet.ca
Mon Nov 25 15:41:42 PST 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 02:12:03PM -0800, Richard Fryer's all...
> Mr. Leitl said:
>
> >From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
> >To: <Beowulf at beowulf.org>
> >Subject: /. The Space Simulator Cluster
> >http://space-simulator.lanl.gov/
> >The Space Simulator is a 294-processor Beowulf cluster. It is based on the
> >Shuttle XPC SS51G - - - - The small size of the XPC cases allowed us to fit
> the cluster in
> >about half the space of the previous 144-processor Avalon cluster.
>
> Wanted to add the note that the entire cluster, (not counting AC and Power
> Conditioning) was in the $0.5M range.

there was some post on /. saying that this didnt include the cost
of the switches.

So whats 'the cost' of a cluster now? Does it include the cost
of building out cooling or power infrastructure? Wire eavestroughing
near the racks? The racks themselves? I'd think it at least includes
the cost of the switches. (Perhaps they were included, anyone know?)

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA