Neural Network applications using Beowulf

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Nov 21 10:42:09 PST 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:11:42AM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Eray Ozkural wrote:
>
> > Personally, I think our brains, logically, operate in a way more like a GA and
> > less like an ANN; however I'm also sure that it is unlike anything we have
> > come up with.

May I suggest you read these books:

John Milton; Dynamics of Small Neural Populations; American Mathematical
Society, 1996

Wolfgang Maass and Christopher M. Bishop, Editors; Pulsed Neural Networks;
MIT Press, 1999, 2001

Miltons book is just a masterpiece. He demonstrates with real data that
biological NNs communicate via a chaotic communication protocol. Pulsed
Neural Networks builds on those ideas.

> It isn't necessarily hard science, but it seems like a reasonable time
> to plug the book "The Lucifer Principle" by Bloom, which is one of the
> most interesting books I've read in years (and I read a LOT:-).

[...snip...]

As always Robert, you are very entertaining. Have you read these books?

Vladimir N. Vapnik; The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory, Second
Edition; Springer-Verlag, 2000

Nello Cristianini, John Shawe-Taylor; An Introduction to Support Vector
Machines; Cambridge University Press, 2000

Ralf Herbrich; Learning Kernel Classifiers, Theory and Algorithms; MIT
Press, 2002

Now, I am very busy and need to get back to work.

cheers,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer