KS file, floppy boot, and NIC not on boot floppy.

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Nov 21 07:09:00 PST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Henderson, TL Todd wrote:

> b.)  Move the e1000 module to the floppy.  However, I don't seem to have the
> room on the floppy to do this.

You can delete some of the existing modules (maybo also non-network driver
related).

> c.)  Build a new kernel that fits on the floppy, has all the special
> features needed to boot from the floppy and includes the e1000 driver.

You'll still have to tinker with the rest, as the size of the in-kernel
driver is not much smaller than the same driver as module.
Unless you really want to include all needed modules in the kernel, but
then you might give away the possibility of using the same floppy for
other setups.

> d.)  Break down and learn how to do it with PXE.

I'd say that this is addictive. Once you've done it, you'll wish that all
your computers support PXE :-)

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868