FastE NIC Recommendation

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Mon Nov 18 06:29:50 PST 2002

Michael Stein wrote:

> > I'm finally getting my home cluster together so I'm looking for some
> > inexpensive FastE NICS. I want inexpensive NICS that offer PXE and
> > decent performance for MPI codes (i.e. a good network load). Also,
> > in the next year or so, I'll be going with channel bonding so the NICs
> > should also handle bonding reasonalble well.  Or perhaps GigE for home
> > use will be cheap enough by then.
>
> What's inexpensive?
>
> Depending on your price range you might consider the Intel pro/1000MT
> desktop (not server) PWLA8390MT for around $50 each.  This is 10/100/1000
> and I think it has PXE (the spec page says PXE and I think I remember
> seeing a boot screen at one point).

   OK, let's bound the problem some more. I know the RealTek stuff (non C+
chipsets) are really bad, but they are very cheap. So let's assume that
$5.00 is my desire (but not probably realistic). $50 is a bit much for just
a home machine. I'd like something less than $15 but that's also probably
unrealistic.
   Anybody know of any RealTeck 8139C+ cards? I seem to remember
Don mentioning that this chipset wasn't too bad.

TIA,

Jeff (from work)

--

Jeff Layton
Senior Engineer

"Is it possible to overclock a cattle prod?" - Irv Mullins

This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
email in error, please delete it immediately, and inform me of the mistake by
return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note that opinions expressed in
this email are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of the
Lockheed-Martin Corporation.