disadvantages of a linux cluster

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Tue Nov 12 09:14:23 PST 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:47:07AM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:

> I thought these were the really Low-Voltage CPUs. I can't
> remember how much power they draw or heat, but I seem
> to recall it was much less than the typical PIII/800.

You have to watch out for those power numbers; for laptop chips (which
is what these are), Intel often quotes an average power for an average
laptop usage scenario. Needless to say, running a scientific code
drives the CPU much closer to max power.

It's a neat trick that Intel can sell slow PIII chips for premium
prices by labeling them "mobile" or "blade". They probably have Speed
Step on all their cpus these days.

-- greg