true power consumption (was: disadvantages of linux cluster)

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Mon Nov 11 02:09:39 PST 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Dave Lane wrote:

[snip]
> technique is inline (I made a custom cable to do this) with both normal
> (Fluke 73UIII) and true-rms (Fluke 79III) multimeters.
>
>                  Unloaded (A)    Loaded (A)      Unloaded (W)    Loaded
> (W)
> Normal          0.65A           0.74A           78W             88.8W
> True RMS        1.13A           1.3A            135W            156W
>
> Note that huge difference in readings. This even surprised me and I should
> have known better before trying this! I was also surprised how little
> difference there was between loaded and unloaded. Note that the same
> current readings were measured for unloaded when the machine was sitting in
> the setup screen of the bios.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the 'true RMS' rumbers, I knew my readings would be lower
then reality but 1) I only wanted to illustrate the difference (and I hope
that still holds resonably well) 2) I had never expected such a
difference... That a true RMS instrument differs almost 100% is quite
remarkable.

/Peter