disadvantages of a linux cluster

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 6 09:58:09 PST 2002

Reliability is just the probability of "not having a failure"... It needs
some time span associated with it (is it 5 nines reliability over a time
span of 5 minutes?)..

The real number you are seeking is "availability", which is a combination
of Mean time to failure and mean time to repair.

And the comments about parallel vs serial faults are well taken.. What's
defined as a failure? the job dying? the job running 1/256th slower? any
one component failing? A software reboot required? A three finger salute to
get "task manager" up on a node?