Surge suppressors

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 1 08:59:37 PST 2002

> I'm not sure what this means.  15A "plug"?  Either this is horribly
> dangerous and a code violation or irrelevant -- if you use a 20A
> breaker, everything in your circuit downstream had better be rated for
> 20A or be fused for lower current operation so you can't start a fire
> and not blow the (or a) breaker first.

You're absolutely right.

The room is wired correctly - I misidentifed the plug types.
The wire molding is darkish gray and runs along the wall beneath
the table surfaces - so there isn't a lot of light or contrast.
Inspected up close with a flashlight the receptacles are clearly
5-20R.  Oddly, even knowing this, looking at them with normal room
light from 8 feet out they still look like 5-15Rs to me.

Guess I need new eyes too.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu