Tyan Tiger & non-MP Athlons

Velocet math at velocet.ca
Tue Mar 5 11:43:18 PST 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:16:31PM -0600, W Bauske's all...
> "Donald B. Kinghorn" wrote:

> > We we're sent (by mistake) 16 Tyan 2460 motherboards with XP's instead of
> > MP's  ... they all installed and booted OK but under load I couldn't get any
> > 4 board subset of them to complete any of our test suites without at least
> > one locking up ... after much anguish and, after replacing all 32 cpu's with
> > MP's everything was fine ...
> >
> > So my recommendation is DON'T DO IT!   :-)
> >

> They work on my systems. Had to add a fan to the chipset heatsink though
> to stabilize them. That chip runs too hot. Also saw a similar problem on
> k7s5a's and we're testing the fan on the HS there at the moment.
>
> Were the MP's the same clock rate as the XP's you had previously or did you
> downgrade to a slower clock? Slowing down the chips makes the problem go
> away on k7s5a's. That was the first test we did.

K7S5As however are single CPU boards - and are designed to run any AMD socket
A chips. The tyan 246x boards are SMP athlons and thus technically only for
MP chips. Running XPs or TBirds in them is, as mentioned, 'unsupported'
by AMD.

Who else has run Tbirds or XPs in Tyan Tiger/Thunder boards? Apparently
XPs are less likely to work in SMP boards than Tbirds, I think there is
a mechanism expressly built into the XPs to disallow this.

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA