Tyan Tiger & non-MP Athlons

Velocet math at velocet.ca
Tue Mar 5 10:29:22 PST 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:31:36AM -0600, Donald B. Kinghorn's all...

> We we're sent (by mistake) 16 Tyan 2460 motherboards with XP's instead of
> MP's  ... they all installed and booted OK but under load I couldn't get any
> 4 board subset of them to complete any of our test suites without at least
> one locking up ... after much anguish and, after replacing all 32 cpu's with
> MP's everything was fine ...
>
> So my recommendation is DON'T DO IT!   :-)

I tried 8 CPUs in 4 boards (both 2460 and 2466) and saw no problems at all -
LAM/MPI running gromacs, G98, distributed net :) as well as the Cpu burn
package's burnMMX and burnK7 programs.  Strange - is there a bios version #
difference that may be causing the lack of support? Wonder if Tyan is under
pressure to halt support for Tbirds on their boards - seems unnecessary since
its getting pretty hard to find Tbirds anyway these days...

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA