hyperthreading

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at pgs.com
Thu Jun 20 13:45:26 PDT 2002

All,
Quick question to all of you who have used Hyperthreaded CPUs : if you
boot a linux kernel on a 4-way SMP box w/ Hyperthreading (kernel then
sees 8 CPUs) w/ maxcpus=N (let's say N = 2), does that mean the kernel
sees the first two 2 _real_ CPUs, or the first real CPU Hyperthreaded?
I would think the first, but I'm curious and couldn't really find any
solid information on it.
Thanks,
Derek R.
--