Company computer utilization?

Henderson, TL Todd Todd_Henderson at ISL-3Com.com
Tue Jul 16 08:24:02 PDT 2002

I know this is slightly off topic, but I think most people here would at
least be partially interested in this and may already have some ideas.

Anyway, I do CFD on a cluster and am always looking for more resources,
because there are never enough.  We have 100's of P4 and P4 Xeon boxes
setting around running windows by day and idle by night.  It was suggested
that we start utilizing these resources at night and I'd be happy to do
this, except I need or at least prefer them to be linux.  Therefore, we need
a way to auto reboot the boxes at some time in the evening to linux and then
back to windows in the morning.  One of our IT folks is already working on
this, but I thought someone out in beowulf land may already have this
figured out, or know of some nifty software/freeware to handle this.  If
anyone has any ideas/suggestions, etc. I'd appreciate it.  It has to be
automatic because most of the users would probably not do anything as simple
as reboot their computer when they go home.

Thanks ahead of time for any info or ideas.
Todd