CCL:Origin300, Linux Cluster (fwd)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jul 6 20:51:36 PDT 2002

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Daniel Kidger wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
> >> (1) An Origin 300 2cpu 500MHZ cost around $35k. Are you using this kind
> of
> >> system? Do you have benchmark of MD simulation (such as Amber) for this
> >> system? Do you regret your purchase?
> >
> >I cannot help you with the Origin side, but unless it delivers a
> >stupendous number of floats per clock or has some other parameter
> >(memory size or speed) that enables critical pathways for MD code, this
> >is a pretty insane option.  See below.
>
> Yes but dont forget that an Origin comes with a lovely blue case that you
> dont get with a beowulf.

Hmmm, yes, a problem, but in the best COTS tradition one can always run
down to your local hardware store and spend some of the $20,000 or so
you save on cans of blue spray paint.

Why, you could get a whole spectrum of colors and do a "rainbow
beowulf".  Or you could get some paisley stencils and have a "mod
beowulf".  Or you could get some day-glo colors and do a "psychedelic
beowulf".  You even have enough money to hire a local starving artist
to do an interesting oil painting that spans the various front faces
(and can have even more fun by rearranging their order when they are
done).

Now I see SGI's marketing strategy. Beowulfs are too somber when done in
basic ivory or black.

   ;-)

     rgb