Beowulf digest, Vol 1 #721 - 11 msgs

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Sat Jan 26 23:03:23 PST 2002

>From: "Lalit Jain" <ljain at angstrom.com>
>To: <beowulf at beowulf.org>
>Subject: RE: Dual Athlon MP 1U units
>Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:30:59 -0600
>
>Hi,
>
>I do know for a fact that 300W PFC power supplies will work for dual AMD
>systems with up to 3 GB of memory and dual IDE HDDs.  The caveat is that
>300W will not drive AGP cards.  Assume an extra 110 W for AGP,
>especially for high performance cards such as ATI FireGL2. BTW --
>Certain high performance AGP cards will not properly work with dual AMD
>systems -- even when using the mem-nopentium option in LILO...
What you are talking about are AGP PRO cards, which can use UP TO 115W.
Since a cluster is not a graphics/CAD workstation, I doubt you would want
to run AGP Pro cards.
A typical AGP card, such as an ATI Rage or TNT-2, that is suitable for a
machine in a cluster, uses about 2W to 4W.

>PFC power supplies are standard and are required for certain
>international deployments.
I do not know what you mean by "standard", but they are certainly better.
Most PFC rates supplies are better regulated, and often actually deliver
more current than their non-PFC equivalents. They also do not feed back
signal noise on to the AC mains.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3