Dual Athlon MP 1U units

Chris Black cblack at EraGen.com
Fri Jan 25 11:18:06 PST 2002

We run dual 1.2GHz amd athlon mp cpu nodes with the Tyan S2462 Thunder
K7 motherboards under 2.4 kernels. At the time we got our nodes, this
was the only dual athlon board out for any length of time, so we ended
up getting it even though it has onboard scsi that we don't use. There
is a model out now without the scsi but the same chipset. Only issues
is that we needed good power supplies with these boards (460 or 435,
not sure). aapro (or some company with a similar name) makes 1U dual
athlons, but we decided against it because we were worried about
cooling issues. We actually rackmount our 2U nodes with some space between
them for some extra airflow above and below the cases.

Chris Black