AMD Athlon with Intel Fortran Compiler

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Fri Jan 25 08:41:45 PST 2002

I ran the Intel Fortran Compiler on an dual 1.2 Ghz AMD system.
I was seen speed improvements of 10-30% over the Portland
Group compiler on 3 different fortran 77 codes.
I was using the SSE instructions when compiling.

The Intel compilers are fast, they are just a bit quirky sometimes.
They complain about Fortran 77 and Fortran 90 syntax unless you tell
it not too.  It didn't like some of the code and would complain with
internal compiler errors until I reorganized some code.  I never got
my Fortran 90 program to run with optmization.  I don't think it
is all F90 codes just mine had some syntax that it couldn't digest.

Craig

Craig Tierney (ctierney at hpti.com)